Thursday, August 4, 2011

Adventures in Eating: Yums #3 and #4

It's no secret that LB's favorite veggie delight is brussels sprouts.  She's hesitant about the Annie's Organic Bunny Fruit snacks, but the brussles, she gobbles.  Not that I'm complaining, just one more piece of proof on what a character she is! 

Since she is such a fan of the green guys, I figured that I'd try a recipe from a book my sis-in-law gave me for Christmas: The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet.


LOVE this book!  Unlike other baby food cookbooks, this one has recipes for young children as well, which is great for us, since Chloe stopped eating anything in the form of "fine purees" a long time ago.  She has discerning tastes, what can I say??  (wink wink)  This book has a lot of easy ideas, and the recipes can be enjoyed by adults too, or if not, the ingredients usually lend themselves well to something adult-friendly!  (Hence why there are two recipes in this entry)...so here's what I made (recipe adapted just a bit):

Hand-in-Hand Cabbage and Apple (because every Brussels lover is a cabbage lover too)

1 gala apple
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup water

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.

It was a hit, and made enough for 3 nights of veggie/fruit servings!  Give it a try!

And, because I was left with most of a heat of cabbage and a bag of apples, I made a cabbage apple slaw that I got from here, just used regular instead of red cabbage.  It was good! 

Happy cabbage crunching! 

No comments: