Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Day! (kinda?)

Chloe and I have been waiting for some winter weather. I know I might get some strange looks for that statement.  Don't get me wrong, I love mild temps too, but I also really appreciate when the weather matches the season. I don't want to drive in it or shovel it, I want a pleasant little coating so we can play outside and be cozy inside. Oh well, so, until we have some of the real white stuff, we've been doing some "snowy" craft activities with my little winter Picasso! 

First up, building with "snowballs," or giant marshmallows.  We tried to use little ones too, but Chloe knew you could eat those ones, so that's what she did.  Sticking with the big marshmallows worked nicely!


Next, some pretty snowflake paintings.  This was super easy.  All we did was make a snowflake pattern with some masking tape on cardstock, paint, let it dry, and remove the tape.  Voila, or as LB says, "WOOOOWWWW," you've got a snowflake painting!  Thanks to the little learners lounge for the cute idea!




We also took some time to read the book The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.  It's a story about a little boy who wakes up a winter wonderland and makes the most of it!


And finally for this post, we made some "winter hats" out of cardboard, just like the one the little boy in the book wears.  I cut the shapes out of cardboard and then let LB "paint" the glue on the hat, and add pom poms, cotton balls, and yarn.  And we repeated the word "hat? hat? hat?" a lot. 


I found this great post from hands on: as we grow with 32 snowy day activities, so you can bet we'll be trying some more!  I'd love to try out some of the sensory stuff.  Take a look and let me know if you try anything out! 

And to all of you DC area snow-lovers...let's wear our pjs inside-out and backwards and flush those ice cubes for this weekend!!!  I hear talk of flurries!




No comments: