Sunday, September 18, 2011

Play-dough Fun!

Playdough...to try or not to try?  I was thinking it could go one of two ways---either Chloe would love it, or she would eat it.  Or maybe both.  So I was a little hesitant to try this activity, but when I found this recipe on Pinterest, I decided to give it a go.  It just looked so smooth and squishy, and I loved how the colors came out in the dough.  I couldn't resist. 

I have to say, this recipe was super easy.  I happened to have all of the ingredients, and most people would, I think, except maybe for the cream of tartar.  I gathered ingredients, "cooked," cleaned up, and was finished in about 20 minutes!  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar (I think this is what makes it so smooth)
1 TBS veggie oil
4 drops food coloring

Directions:

Combine ingredients and cook on lower medium heat until dough forms a ball, stirring constantly.  Put dough on wax paper to cool and then knead to smooth out. 


Don't be fooled---the mixture is very liquidy at first, but it thickens up quickly.

Finished product---I can't wait to make more colors!

I love the original blogger's idea for using those Target baby applesauce cups for storage cases, but I used ziplocs, which worked great too! 

Oh, so the outcome---Chloe really enjoyed this one.  I think it kept her attention for an entire 15 minutes, which is HUGE for her, or any 1 year old, for that matter.  I put her in her highchair and armed her with some tools (avocado slicer---so not useful for avocados, great for play-dough), cookie cutters, these little egg molds for hard-boiled eggs) and let her get to work.  I saw her creative juices flowing, I swear.  And she only tasted it once or twice. 


Testing things out

Using a cookie cutter

What, mom? 

This is a must-try, moms!  And if your bear eats it, it's all safe anyways.  Have fun!

No comments: