Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sticky Fingers (The Baby-Safe Version)

As mentioned before, Chloe had a bunch of fun finger painting when we made our present for Mike.  Unfortunately, it was real finger paint, so I didn't really want her to eat it, which ended up being her main goal.  So as soon as we successfully got the hand prints down, I scooped her up and into the bath she went.  I made a mental note to find an alternative to the real finger paint that would be baby-appropriate, so...

Homemade Baby Finger Paint
(I got the recipe here, but I'll write it out for you too---my own, to the point version)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp white sugar
1/2 cup dry cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
Food coloring

Directions:

Mix the ingredients together in a small saucepan.  Heat on medium and stir continuosly, until the becomes the consistency of goopy paint.  There's no better way to explain it.  Separate into smaller batches and mix in whatever food coloring you like! 

Yesterday was a great day to do this.  We had a painter over doing the stairway, so we were stuck at home, and it was drizzling too, so I spread some towels on the kitchen floor and put a large piece of poster board (I really recommend this, so your little one can make a big mess, errrrr, piece of art).  After naptime and a little lunch, we were ready to go!  I glopped some paint down on the paper and let LP do some exploring:



This was definitely a "diaper only" activity

We were a little tentative at first....it was very squishy....

After touching it only with the paper towel tube, she got into it...


And more into it....

WAYYYYYY into it.....I'd say this was a success. 

A small oversight: because the painter was here, we couldn't get upstairs to the tub, so sink bath it was!

Be brave mommies, try this one out!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like she had a great time. She really goes head first into her activities ; )

Does the food coloring stain at all? I have been afraid to use food coloring because of the staining.

Bryana ZT said...

Nope, no staining! I only used a tiny bit and washed everything right away though. Also, I think there were some "natural" food dye ideas in the blog I linked to...maybe those wouldn't be as messy?

weecantooart said...

This is really wonderful. I really like this post so much.Weecantooart.com is proud to introduce Baby Edible Finger paint and Baby Finger which has turn out to be the main boasted items and is preferred choice of children & parents.

Bryana ZT said...

Very cool, thank you for sharing!