Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Couple of Freezer "Yums"

It's been a minute since I posted some recipes that we enjoy in our house, so I thought I'd catch up on a couple that I've made to be frozen and pulled out on those nights when dinner isn't ready and LB is ready, or for a quick and healthy lunch!  I love having a few healthy meal ideas ready in the freezer.  They're so easy to pull out and heat up and I don't have to feel badly about feeding LB the ingredients that are in many of the "freezer meals" you'd buy in the store!  So here you go!  (Unfortunately, I'm without pictures of these recipes...you'll have to use your imagination)

Turkey Meatballs:

1 lb. ground turkey (I got a great price at Trader Joe's)
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup water or milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
(I've also read recipes that mention a couple of Tbs. of Ketchup; haven't tried it but I bet it's yummy)

Combine ingredients and shape into meatballs, placing onto lightly sprayed baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (internal temperature should be 165 degrees).  I froze these in a ziploc bag and microwave for about a minute for eating.  They are a big hit! 


Sweet Potato, Apple, Carrot, and Cinnamon Pancakes

2 cups Bisquick Mix*
1 cup milk*
2 eggs*
1 sweet potato (cubed and steamed, or cooked in the microwave and cubed afterwards like I did)
1 apple (peeled, cubed, and steamed)
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 tsp cinnamon

*I used the Bisquick for pancakes, but you could easily use any pancake recipe your have, in fact, next time I will try with whole wheat flour)

Combine Bisquick, milk, and eggs.  Fold in sweet potato, apple, and carrots.  Spray a pan and heat over medium low heat.  Spoon batter onto pan, flip each pancake when the top of the batter is bubbly!  I individually wrapped these and froze them in a ziploc too!  Just heat and serve---a fun fall treat for sure, with some healthy ingredients snuck in there.  

Anyone else have any great freezer ideas?  Please share!

2 comments:

TeachermomVA said...

YUM! Wes is picky! I hope he won't notice the turkey part! :)

Bryana ZT said...

Good luck! I have to say, they are really yummy (although I still prefer the good old-fashioned Italian meat-a-balls) haha!